I just made these for my family and they were a huge hit! As always, I waited until every one had eaten a few bites before mentioning the vegan part. 😉
- 8 oz instant yeast (one packet)
- I cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Earth balance (vegan butter), divided
- a pinch of salt
- 3 cups flour
- approx. 1 Tbsp cinnamon ( I use a bit more)
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup +1 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1 small apple
Ready in less than 2 hours.
1. In a large sauce pan, heat the almond milk and 3 Tbsp Earth balance until warm and melted, never reaching a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to about the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
3.Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be a little sticky. when it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with grapeseed oil and add your dough ball back in. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted Earth balance and top with 1/4 cup sugar and a Tbsp or so of cinnamon. Sprinkle a bit of nutmeg to taste. Add that apple, diced, if you desire.
5. Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and place seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 2 inch sections and position in a well-greased 8x8ish pan (you should have about 9 or 10 rolls). Brush lightly with the remaining melted Earth balance to help the rolls brown. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat to 350 degrees F.
6. Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes and then serve immediately.
7. Option to add a glaze with a bit more of the melted Earth balance mixed with icing sugar and a bit of almond milk.